Last night was annual White House correspondents dinner. It is the annual gathering of overdressed press and Hollywood celebrities that hope to find some humor in the President’s bungled running of the country. This, I suppose, is to give them a break from their usual prostrate positions on the object of their worship.
President Obama got to bring out his “aw, shucks”, everyman routine and he gave us his (humorous? pathetic?) take on recent scandals plaguing the rule of America’s 4th greatest president. Frankly, there have been so many ridicule-worthy revelations recently, I’m not sure how the dinner didn’t go on for days.
Some of the topics that Obama riffed on included:
- The “GSA’s Gone Wild” Las Vegas conference: “I mean, look at this party. We’ve got men in tuxes, women in gowns, fine wine, first-class entertainment. I was just relieved to learn this was not a GSA conference”
- The Secret Service prostitution scandal: “I had a lot more material prepared, but I have to get the Secret Service home in time for their new curfew”
- American culture, heritage, and tradition: “In my first term, we ended the war in Iraq; in my second term, I will win the war on Christmas.”
- Social values: “In my first term, we repealed the policy known as “don’t ask, don’t tell; in my second term, we will replace it with a policy known as, it’s raining men.”
- Obamacare before the Supreme Court: “In my first term, we passed health care reform; in my second term, I guess I’ll pass it again.”
- And about Sarah Palin: “What’s the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull? A pit bull is delicious.”
This final line references the kerfuffle last week where the Obama campaign took a shot at Republican Presidential hopeful Governor Mitt Romney. In a move to corner the pet-lover vote, they decided that bringing up a decades old report of the Romney’s putting the family dog in a cage on the roof of the car when they took it with them on vacation.
A pro-Romney group hit back immediately with a video quoting from Obama’s own book where he describes eating dog meat.
So with that as background, here is the top ten list of dishes not served at last night’s Washington Correspondents Dinner:
- Puppyseed Bagels
- Chihuahua Chimichanga
- German Shepherd Pie
- Hound cake
- Chili con Corgi
- Oodles of Labradoodle noodles
- Po-Bo Sandwich
- Pupperoni Pizza
- Michael Vick’s Ol’ Fashioned Backyard Jambalaya
And if you have the room for a little more, you could always check sample some #ObamaEatsDogsHaiku .