What to remember about September 9th…
- 1776 Continental Congress changes the nation’s name from “United Colonies” to “United States of America”
- 1791 Capital of the District of Colombia is renamed in honor of 1st American president, Washington, D.C.
- 1850 California becomes 31st state admitted to the Union
- 1863 Union forces capture Chattanooga, Tennessee after nearly bloodless campaign of feint and maneuver
- 1890 American businessman Harland David “Colonel” Sanders is born in Henryville, Indiana; founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken
- 1942 Submarine launched Japanese floatplane drops incendiary bombs on Oregon; 1st aerial bombing attack on the U.S.
- 1971 Prison riot breaks out in Attica, New York
- 1976 Genocidal communist dictator Mao Zedong dies