What to remember about September 6th…
- 1757 French general and hero of the American Revolution Marquis de La Fayette is born
- 1847 American author and abolitionist Henry David Thoreau leaves Walden Pond and moves in with Ralph Waldo Emerson
- 1901 President William McKinley is shot by anarchist Leon Czolgosz in Boston; he dies September 14th from infection
- 1972 9 more Israeli athletes and a German police officer are murdered by Palestinian terrorists as the Munich Olympic hostage taking ends
- 1976 Soviet air force pilot Lt. Viktor Belenko lands a MiG-25 jet fighter at Hakodate, Japan to defect to the U.S.
- 1995 Cal Ripken played his 2,131st consecutive professional baseball game beating the record previously held by Lou Gehrig
- 1997 Billions watch the funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales; Sir Elton John performs “Candle in the Wind”