What to remember about July 7th…
- 1798 Congress rescinds treaties with France in response to raids on American shipping; “Quasi-War” begins between France and U.S.
- 1846 U.S. forces occupy Monterey, California unopposed during Mexican-American War; begins annexation of California
- 1863 America’s first military draft begins; exemption costs $300
- 1865 Marry Surrat is 1st woman executed in the United States; convicted as conspirator in assassination of President Lincoln
- 1907 Science fiction author Robert Heinlein born; Stranger in a Strange Land, Starship Troopers, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
- 1942 Heinrich Himmler orders that medical experiments be performed on Jews at Auschwitz; Hitler approves
- 1946 Future President James Earl “Jimmy” Carter marries Eleanor Rosalynn Smith in Plains, Georgia
- 1981 Sandra Day O’Connor is nominated as an associate Justice to the Supreme Court of the United States by Ronald Reagan
- 1981 Solar Challenger piloted by Stephen Ptacek makes first solar-powered flight over the English Channel
- 2003 NASA Opportunity rover launched towards Mars aboard a Delta II rocket
- 2005 In London 3 subway trains and 1 bus are attacked by Muslim suicide bombers; the 4 attacks kill 56 and injure another 700
- UPDATE: 2016 Racist, African-American Army veteran Micah Xavier Johnson attacks police protecting a Dallas “Black Lives Matter” rally. 5 officers killed, 7 more injured, and 2 civilians wounded in sniper-style attack. After hours of gunfire, bomb threats, and racial taunts by the murderer, Dallas police use a remotely piloted deliver an explosive device to end the standoff. The perpetrator dies.