What to remember about June 12th…
- 1776 Virginia adopts George Mason’s Declaration of Rights
- 1864 Lt. General Ulysses S. Grant withdraws Union troops from Cold Harbor, VA; last Confederate victory of the Civil War
- 1924 President George H. W. Bush born in Milton, Mass
- 1942 Anne Frank receives a diary for her 13th birthday
- 1963 Civil rights leader Medgar Evars murdered in Jackson, Miss.
- 1978 David Berkowitz sentenced to 25 years-to-life in Attica for “Son of Sam” slayings in 1976 and 1977
- 1987 President Ronald Reagan gives speech in West Berlin saying “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall.”
- 1994 Nicole Brown Simpson, ex-wife of O.J. Simpson, and Ron Goldman brutally murdered; innocent of criminal charges but found civilly liable
- 1997 Major League Baseball introduces regular season, inter-league play with 1st game between Texas Rangers hosted the San Francisco Giants
- 2003 Actor Gregory Peck (To Kill A Mockingbird) dies in L.A.(b. 1916)
- UPDATE – 2016 Muslim man born in New York to Afghan immigrant parents Omar Mir Seddique Mateen opens fire at closing time in “Pulse” gay nightclub in Orlando, FL. The terrorist pledges allegiance to ISIS and its leaders during rampage that kills 50 and wounds 54. SWAT team assaults club to free hostages and kills terrorist in the process. President Barack Hussein Obama II in press conference refuses to mention Islam or terrorism; blames guns and hatred.