What to remember about June 7th…
- 1776 At Continental Congress in Philadelphia, Richard Henry Lee of Virginia introduces resolution for independence; John Adams seconds the motion
- 1863 Rebel effort to relieve siege of Vicksburg fails at Battle of Milliken’s Bend despite severe losses amongst new African-American regiments
- 1917 In Battle of Messines Ridge, British forces detonate over 1 million pounds of explosives in tunnels under German positions to end stalemate
- 1929 Vatican City becomes sovereign state with signing of Lateran Treaty
- 1939 King George VI becomes 1st British monarch to visit the U.S.; entering at Niagara Falls he goes on to visit New York and Washington, D.C.
- 1942 Fierce fighting that began June 4th ends today with U.S. victory over Imperial Japanese Navy at Battle of Midway
- 1965 SCOTUS rules in Griswold v. Connecticut that “penumbras” and “emanations” of other constitutional protections constitute a right to privacy; lays groundwork for result of 1973 Roe v. Wade abortion ruling
- 1965 NASA’s Gemini IV mission ends after 1st successful American space walk
- 1966 Former Democrat and actor Ronald Reagan is elected as Governor of California; later elected 40th President of the United States
- 1967 Israeli paratroopers enter and capture Jerusalem ahead of U.N. cease-fire in Six-Day War; Bethlehem also liberated
- 1981 Israeli Air Force conducts Operation Opera destroying Iraqi Osiraq nuclear power plant and weapons facility
- 1998 3 white supremacists in Texas drag James Byrd, Jr. to death behind their pickup truck; attack leads to “hate crime” legislation in U.S.
- 2008 Senator Hillary Clinton D-NY) formally ends her presidential campaign and endorses Barack Hussein Obama II