What to remember about December 12th…
- 1787 Pennsylvania become 2nd state to ratify the Constitution
- 1870 Joseph H. Rainey is seated as 1st African-American directly elected United States Congressman
- 1917 Father Edward J. Flannagan founds Boys Town in Nebraska; village for education of wayward boys still in operation today
- 1941 Adolf Hitler announces in his offices that “destruction of the Jews must be (the war’s) necessary consequence”.
- 1985 Charter flight returning from Cairo crashes in Newfoundland killing 248 members of U.S. 101st Airborne Division
- 2000 Supreme Court issues ruling effectively deciding result of presidential election; Equal Protection Clause was violated when counties applied differing standards to recounts; Bush wins