What to remember about December 2nd…
- 1777 Philadelphia nurse and housewife Lydia Darragh overhears British plans for surprise attack on General Washington’s forces; pretending to need flower, she slips out and passes a warning to Colonials
- 1823 Monroe Doctrine becomes new U.S. foreign policy when unveiled at President’s annual address to Congress
- 1845 President Polk reasserts Monroe doctrine announcing aggressive westward expansion as part of America’s “manifest destiny”
- 1942 Enrico Fermi experiment produces 1st nuclear chain reaction; “atomic pile” was built and tested in a basement at University of Chicago
- 1954 U.S. Senate votes to condemn Joseph R. McCarthy for “conduct that tends to bring the Senate into dishonor and disrepute”.
- 1970 At the direction of President Nixon and with approval of Congress, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) begins operations
- 2001 Energy-trading corporation Enron files bankruptcy after fraud and mismanagement can no longer be concealed
- UPDATE: 2015 Married radical Islamist terrorists Syed Farook (USA) and Tashfeen Malik (Pakistan) murder 14 and wound 21 others at training session and holiday party for the San Bernadino County Health Department where Syed worked. Couple dies in shootout with police.